Separation & Divorce
Finding a Good Divorce Lawyer in Singapore
If you are at a time of crisis and facing separation or divorce issues, it is a time to make critical financial and personal decisions. A top divorce lawyer in Singapore will guide you through the separation process and explain how the law applies to you in order for you to make the right decisions to protect yourself and your loved ones.
You should seek a Family Lawyer trained in Mediation techniques who is committed to helping you find a path that doesn’t end escalating any more than it needs to in or out of court.
During the highly significant and emotionally tiring divorce process, it is of utmost importance to engage a good divorce lawyer to assist you. A specialist divorce lawyer will help you to objectively assess your situation and assist you to make sound decisions in your best interests.
What should be expected from a good divorce lawyer?
Listens to your needs
It is critical to have clear communication with your divorce lawyer. You should be able to effectively communicate your concerns and expectations to a lawyer who can listen before properly clarifying all information regarding your case.
Qualities of Good Divorce Lawyers:
- Good communicators who listen to your needs
- Able to guide you to decide the course of action to take by showing the big picture
- Explain the law regarding your situation
- Offer you alternative dispute resolution avenues to save you time and money
- Not afraid to tell you what you may not want to hear
- Give you a realistic assessment on the chances of achieving your desired result
Experienced and well-versed in family law
Along with academic qualifications, your divorce lawyer must also have experience in dealing with a wide variety of legal cases within the family law spectrum and stay current with any changes in family law.
Below is a list of tasks that good divorce lawyers in Singapore should be proficient in:
- Calculation of division of assets
- Calculation of spousal and child support issues
- Represent their clients in court hearings
- Represent their clients in the Collaborative Family Practice process
- Offer mediation to their clients in order to settle out of court and save money for the clients
- Have a team with substantial experience in negotiating financial settlements
Since a divorce case is likely to touch all aspects of your life – family, finances, retirement and career – it is essential to seek a good divorce lawyer who is capable of representing you effectively, from mediation to trial.
Your chosen lawyer should also be trained and certified by the Singapore Court System in mediation and negotiation techniques, putting them in a better position to meet your outcomes.
A good divorce lawyer should give you initial free consultation, go through and help you understand each step of the divorce process so that you can familiarise yourself with the different stages of divorce.