Marriages may or may not be made in heaven, but divorces certainly take place on earth. As per recent statistics, 7,623 marriages in Singapore ended in divorce in 2019, which is a 3.8% increase compared to 2018 figures.
The two top reasons cited for divorce were ‘unreasonable behaviour’ and ‘living apart for more than three years.’ While reasons behind planning for divorce are personal and vary between individuals, it can be devastating for the spouse who is not expecting a divorce or is unprepared for it. Receiving the Writ for Divorce all of a sudden from your spouse can be mentally and emotionally difficult to handle.
However, by being observant, you can get to know if your spouse is planning for divorce. Here are some of the obvious and not-so-obvious signs that your spouse is planning on getting a divorce in Singapore:
Cash concerns – Paying close attention to finances can help you know whether your spouse is planning for divorce. The financial cues can include any one or more of the following:
- When you bring up big purchases or long-term financial commitments such as a new car, new house, or other investment, you find that your spouse is disinterested or is unwilling to discuss such plans.
- If you and your spouse have a shared account, you may suddenly find that you cannot access the account. Your spouse may be dodgy or evasive with financial information that you seek or avoid the subject altogether.
- There are unusual or multiple cash withdrawals made by your spouse. While one odd withdrawal may not be alarming, particularly, when your spouse is able to explain the reason behind it, multiple withdrawals can be a sign of trouble. This can indicate that your spouse is saving up for a new house or to hire a lawyer. The money could also be for buying gifts for their paramour.
- You may notice credit card charges for things that you did not buy or receive as a gift from your spouse. For instance, these unusual charges may relate to jewellery purchase or hotel stay on one of the ‘business trips’ that your spouse has been on.
- If you are the one who typically handles all the bills and budgeting in the family and your spouse is suddenly interested in knowing about monthly expenses, your income, and other payments due, this can be a red flag. It can indicate, for instance, that your spouse has consulted a divorce lawyer specialising in divorce in Singapore who might have advised on getting all the financial details.
Concerns of an affair – Infidelity is one of the most common reasons for a divorce. Although it can be difficult to detect, here are some signs you can watch out for:
- Your spouse is ultra-careful with their cell phone and does not leave it unattended around the house. They ensure they take the phone everywhere, including the bathroom and to bed.
- The data usage and text messages have increased, and you do not have access to the family phone bill.
- Physical intimacy is absent or becoming increasingly less frequent.
- Your spouse is suddenly paying a lot of attention to their physical appearance regarding a new workout program, new clothes, or perfume.
Consult a divorce lawyer
If you notice one or more of these signs consistently and talking to your spouse about it does not help, it is important for you to consult a top divorce lawyer specialising in divorce in Singapore. While advising you on your legal rights related to divorce, property, and custody, the lawyer can help you prepare for the battle ahead.